Delivery of content to users
One of the key factors that distinguishes Daystar from other internet television apps is the way content is delivered to the user. In the app, the signal is shaped at the place where the event is taking place. And this is quite a complicated technical procedure.
The process of content delivery includes several steps:
1. The video streams are delivered via special communication channels (they are VPN-channels with strict SLA requirements) to a distribution unit.
2. Broadcast content is transmitted to the Daystar app.
3. The video streams are delivered via special communication channels (as a rule, they are VPN-channels with strict SLA requirements) to a distribution unit.
4. From this unit, the signal is transmitted to the Daystar app.
5. Users can watch and save their favorite shows.
We integrated a system of copyright protection into the app. This system doesn’t allow illegal rebroadcasting of the content.
In order to encrypt the content and verify legal users our engineers used the Verimatrix solution which is a world leader in the sphere of content security. The use of Verimatrix ensures a quick audit of the platform’s security by the majority of right holders.
Daystar retains the local copy of the database that is updated when a user opens the app or when the solution is run in the background. When the app is active each copy receives the updates with minimal delay. If the internet connection is good the ping between the user and the server is low meaning no lags in the broadcasting. This mechanism also allows using some parts of the app functionality if the connection is broken.
The server-sent events mechanism provides the app with the possibility to receive all the elements of the news feeds (videos, votings, news, etc.) as they appear or go live.
The statistics for internal use are gathered via a request to the server. This is not stored locally in order to avoid any increase in the size of the local database.
• Saving a list of favorite shows
• Access to the weekly schedule of live streaming
• Sending prayer requests
• Sending video snapshots and images
• Closed captioning of live streaming and selected shows